Membership in the Professional Numismatists Guild is offered, on an individual basis, to those professional numismatists that can meet a rigorous set of ethical and financial standards. It’s the individual who joins the PNG, not the company.
Becoming a member of the PNG brings many benefits to a professional numismatist. In addition to being the oldest, and most prestigious, international dealer organization in numismatics, the PNG:
- Provides an umbrella of protection for you and your customers.
- Is the only self regulating organization in numismatics today.
- Offers legally binding arbitration for consumers and dealers.
- Takes a strong position in consumer education and the basics of coin collecting.
- Does extensive advertising (i.e., sends out thousands of membership
directories, with complete member listings, each year; takes a full page ad, emphasizing consumer protection, in one of the major numismatic publications each month, etc.) to help create business for our members.
- Provides the camaraderie of being part of an international organization, comprised of the most successful dealers in our profession.
- Sponsors a national schedule of prestigious sales events that Guild members may participate in, and have automatic admittance into.
- Produces an annual PNG Awards Banquet and offers members the professionally produced The Change of Time brochure, affording a large company look at minimal expense.
- Has formed a special relationship with the Numismatic Guarantee Corporation (NGC), who offers members five free walkthrough submissions each year.
While these are all good reasons for applying for membership in the Professional Numismatists Guild, we believe that the best reason may be that becoming a member will enhance your stature in our industry. All of us who are professionals in this industry have been fortunate enough to get our share of rewards from this business. Being a member of the Guild gives you an opportunity to give something back. Our efforts to educate and protect the consumer, and to raise the level of professionalism in our business, have been a credit to the hobby since our founding in 1955. All of our members have grown by being a part of these efforts.
The Professional Numismatists Guild has three categories of membership: regular (full), associate and affiliate, each with its own set of requirements.