NGC is the official grading service of the PNG
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America (NGC®)
If you're not using NGC, the official grading service of the PNG, be sure to ask these questions before choosing a service.
Grading Service Questionaire
1) How many years has your company been grading, authenticating and encapsulating numismatic items?
2) How many numismatic items has your company graded since its inception?
3) On average, how many numismatic items is your company presently grading monthly?
4) Does your company offer a grading and authenticity guarantee?
5) Does your company publish your guarantee in writing on a website or in company literature?
6) Does your company offer to Buy Back numismatic items when necessary?
7) Does your company maintain ongoing census or population statistics for your numismatic items?
8) Are your numismatic items environmentally protected in the holder?
9) Does your company have an established grading standard?
10) How are your grading standards applied and maintained?
11) Does your company have an established dealer or collector network?
12) Is there an active bid/ask sight unseen market for your company’s numismatic items?
13) Are your company’s items traded on a recognized numismatic trading network?
14) What percentage, in your estimation, of the overall collector/dealer market place trades in your material?
15) Does your company provide ample insurance coverage when numismatic material in on your premises?
16) What is your company’s grading procedure? The number of graders that grade each numismatic item?
17) What safeguards does your company have in place to keep your graders from grading numismatic material they own?
18) Does your company provide an ongoing educational program for your graders and authenticators?